Back To Blogs
How to Prolong the Effects of a Professional Teeth Whitening
Feb 27, 2019
Everyone wants to have a perfect set of pearly whites. This is part of the reason why cosmetic dentistry procedures are so popular these days. Studies reveal that the top contributing factors for this popularity are:
- The rise of makeover shows
- At-home teeth whitening kits
- Aging baby boomers who want to preserve their youth
The most common group that seeks cosmetic dentistry is people between the ages of 30 and 40.
Out of all the cosmetic dental procedures performed today, teeth whitening is by far the most pervasive. 80% of Americans want whiter teeth, and $1.4 billion is spent on teeth whitening products every year, according to the American Dental Association.
Professional teeth whitening is an expensive process. It takes multiple sittings to complete, which last a few weeks. The whole procedure is painless and delivers visible results almost immediately.
Over time, our teeth tend to lose their white sparkle. Organic discolorations are caused by aging, use of tobacco, and the consumption of certain foods. The main concern most people have after getting a professional teeth whitening done is how to maintain that sparkle.
Here are some ways to preserve the look of professional teeth whitening:
- Avoid consuming foods and drinks that are high in pigments. Drinks like ref wine, dark-colored juices, spices like turmeric, condiments like balsamic and soya sauce, etc. stain teeth pretty quickly.
- Cut down on coffee and tea. Caffeinated drinks like coffee and tea are high in tannins; these stain the teeth over time and make them appear yellow or brown. If you find it difficult to cut such drinks out of your diet, consume them with a straw. The beverage won’t come in contact with your teeth, preventing any stains.
- Rinse your mouth after eating a meal or a snack. Make sure you wait for at least 20 minutes after eating before brushing your teeth. According to experts, the surface of the teeth is soft right after food consumption due to bacterial acid. Brushing your teeth in such a condition will cause the enamel on your teeth to wear off. This causes sensitivity and sharp tooth pain.
- Avoid ‘hard’ toothbrushes. The toothbrush you use could be the cause of your poor dental health. Using a brush with hard bristles can damage the protective coating on your teeth and increase the chances of staining.
- Beware of acidic foods; they are known to erode the enamel of your teeth. Doing so can make your teeth more susceptible to staining.
- Some foods help protect your teeth. Cheese is known to create a protective coating on your teeth. Indulge in such foods before having foods that contain rich pigments.
If you are looking for a reliable place to have cosmetic dentistry procedures done in Las Vegas, we can take care of you! Our professional teeth whitening procedure and affordable dental implants will give you the smile you’ve always dreamed of. Book an appointment today or call 702 803 1787 for more information.